THE News Limited restructure will be announced “in two weeks or so,” chief executive Kim Williams has told staff amidst growing job-cuts.
Mr Williams addressed speculation he was due to make an announcement on company changes on Monday.
Media reports have estimated there would be between 400 and 1000 redundancies.
“Those reports are misinformed and speculative, based on nothing other than rumour,” said the email to all staff.
News Limited cut 16 editorial positions last week – five production staff in Gosford, seven in Sydney, three journalists at news.com.au, one at the Gold Coast Bulletin – and 28 printers at Queensland Newspapers.
The media union – the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance – said it was satisfied with the advice on the redundancies received from News Limited.
“They each represent the outcome of longer running processes separate to the rumoured broader restructure,” said the MEAA email to members.
Mr Williams said he has been working with his executives in “shaping a reformed approach to the management of the company to ensure we continue as a leader in Australian media delivery”.
“As with all such announcements it is important that the settings are right, the planning comprehensive and the communications open and direct to everyone in the company,” he said.
“When the plan is complete and ready for delivery I will be informing our own people first.
“No doubt there will continue to be speculative comment but I would encourage everyone to hold tight and wait until you here directly from me and my colleagues.”